Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering column ignition switch bypass

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KPAX-5, May 27, 2002.

1. KPAX-5

KPAX-5 Registered Member

Hi everyone,
    I'm new to this forum. I just bought a 85 K5, auto, 4wd.
    I have a problem when changing gears on the steering column or turning the steering wheel pass one revolution, the engine will stall (dies out). The steering column was rebuilt by a back yard mechanic, sort of like me.
    Could it be one of the wire from the ignition to the distribtor that is being shorted ?
    Can I bypass the ignition and run a wire from the battery to the a fuseable link then to a toggle switch then to the distributor, while using the ignition key switch just to power the radio, acc, and the cranking starter?
    Would running a fuseable link, fuse and/or a relay be better?
    If running a fuse and a fuseholder is recommended, how many amps for the fuse.
    Any suggestions or comments is greatly appreciated, Thank You.
    I bought the K5 for $300 without wheels and tires. The trucks is alright, but its not beautiful. I don't want to really spend money on a new steering column right now since there much more needed to be done.

85 K5, 305/700R4, NP208, 4 in. lift, 33s MTR
    93 ZJ 4.0, 3in lift, 31s AT
    Hawaii

2. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

a piece on my tumbler assembly broke, so im just gonna put on another key from walmart and a push button starter.

NITRO

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'd suggest doing it right, but thats just me. Playing with ignition wires usually results in some extremely fun troubleshooting somewhere down the line, more than likely when its raining and dark.

4. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Spend the time and $$ to do it right. I rebuilt my entire column for $40 (dealer parts even!!). I could have killed the PO of my truck. They did some funky crap to the wiring and screwed a bunch of stuff up. I pulled at least a couple hundred feet of unnecessary wiring out of my truck, rebuilt the column and fixed a couple of short circuits and WAHLA! everthing worked perfectly. Buy the book, the right parts, and take the time to do it right. All that other stuff won't do squat for you if the thing won't run. I gave ya a nickles worth for .02 /forums/images/icons/smile.gif.