Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering Column Indicator light? 70 K5

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by vaulter, May 20, 2003.

1. vaulter

vaulter Registered Member

This might be stupid but here goes.

Does anyone know how to fix a steering column indicator light on a 70 K5. The one that tells you what gear you are in. There is a little bulb in there, but I don't know where to get one.

I can change gears without it, of course. But, I'm beginning to fix the Blazer up a little nicer and thought It'd be a nice touch to fix it.

Any ideas?

PS I've looked in LMC ans can't find the bulb offerred.

Vaulter

2. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

It's not a light, its a fiber optic cable that runs from the back of the cluster up the column to the shifter.

Good luck, that cable is very hard, almost rare to come by. If you do, don't pass it up.

Junk yards will be your best bet, once you get it, make sure you sand the ends of the cable, it will make the light briter on the shifter.

Good luck.

Robzilla

3. MJF

MJF 1/2 ton status

I've seen them for sale on www.67-72chevytrucks.com before. I never knew what it was when they said fiber optic whatever so I didn't pay it much attention. I will agree that it is rare to see one for sale, but it never hurts to go over ther & ask.

4. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

the one on my truck isnt fiber optic. its an led and all i had to do to fix it was reconnect the wire where it had split over the years. maybe mines had an afetermarket thing added /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

nathan