Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering Column Info Needed

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by nvrenuf, Oct 2, 2004.

1. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

What causes the ignition key cylinder to spring back when released after rotating it to the "start" position?

My key cylinder is sticking about half way back between the "start" and "run" positions causing the shifter to be difficult to move. If this recoil is somehow built into the cyinder itself then that's easy enough, if not I'm curious what to look at/for.

Since this is my daily driver I'm trying to minimize down time. Thanks for all the help! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

2. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

I'm not 100% sure,b/c its been a long time since i've had teh column apart, but i believe the recoil is a function of the Ignition switch itself, the key cylinder is just the first piece in the long line of pices to connect to the Ignition switch. Is it a tilt column?? if so try it at different tilt positions, mine used to not want to work at the wheel all the way up position, but when the wheel was halfway down it would work, the valet at hooters couldn't figure it out, he asked if i had a kill switch /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

3. or2play

or2play 1/2 ton status

Yes the recoil is built into the lock cylinder. There aren't to hard to change. You will have to get a steering lock plate tool to compress the lock plate and spring. I got mine at sears. Also make sure you get the right kind to lock cylinder. The early models had a retaining tab the held the cylinder in the column. Later models used a set screw.

4. nvrenuf

It's not a tilt column but now that you said it I do seem to remember the switch having a spring loaded feel in the slide. I'll give it a good look, THANKS! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    ... the valet at hooters couldn't figure it out...

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, your Hooters is different than the one here. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

5. nvrenuf

Well crap... I got home from work today and the truck would not turn off. The key cylinder is locked in the "run" position. I got the motor to shut off but switching tanks (fortunately one is empty), after screwing with it for a few minutes with no success I ended up disconnecting the battery to kill it completely, hope I didn't hurt the computer. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Guess I know what I'm doing tomorrow. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif