Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering Column.. Is it Broken ???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by njonl, Jun 1, 2004.

1. njonl

njonl 1/2 ton status

I drive an '89 Blazer. Yesterday I was leaving the lake to come home and I could not move the shifter from park to drive. I know sometimes it does this sort of thing when on a hill but, this was a lot different and it would absolutely not budge. Now, I know I probably shouldn't have forced it but I pulled on it pretty hard and it finally went into drive. So... I get home and I go to turn the key to turn the truck off. It will not budge!! The key absolutely will not budge at all. So I fiddle with it for about 5 mins and it finally shuts off. What's the deal ?? I know the the key ignition needs replaced because I can start the truck without keys. Anybody have any diagrams of the steering column ? How can I fix this ? Thanks,

-Nick

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Re: Steering Column.. Is it Broken ??? *DELETED*

Post deleted by dremu

3. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The column doesn't do much besides turn, so I'm inclined to suspect the linkage on the tranny is out of whack.

[/ QUOTE ] haha /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif the steering column does a lot more than just turn /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif.

it sounds like you broke somthing in your column, it could be yer neutral safety switch or some other do hicky in there. but yes most certainly it is in your column.

4. njonl

njonl 1/2 ton status

So how do I get into the column to see what is broken ?? Thats my biggest thing. Anybody have a picture or a diagram ? That would help a lot. Thanks.

-Nick

5. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

you will need a steering wheel puller and a lock ring tool to remove the lock ring. look in you chiltons or hayes manuel. i am in the process of rebuilding a column and the hayes manuel has a great diagram. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. njonl

njonl 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the responses. I took my steering wheel off and disassembled the blinker setup and I took the old ignition solenoid out and put a new one in and it works awesome. Thanks again.

-Nick /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

7. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif