Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering column loose at tilt pivot!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Liberator, Oct 10, 2003.

1. Liberator

Liberator 1/2 ton status

My steering column is loose and wiggles at the pivot point for the tilt. I have to wiggle the steering wheel to get the tranny in gear. It's on my '81 w/cruise. Is there an easy way to fix this? I was told there are three bolts that simply need tightening. The local wrecking yard offered to rebuild mine for $175 but I'd like to fix it myself if possible.

2. 3car

3car 1/2 ton status

yes,its just loose bolts...you do have to disassemble part of the steering column to get to them,and it can be tricky.if you feel up to it,get an exploded veiw of the steering column,and go at it. $175 for a rebuild is too much.i watched a guy do the repair in an hour,there are no parts needed,just some thread locker.if you cant do it,find a honest mechanic,and you will come out cheaper than that for sure.

3. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

Loose bolts or one of the tilt pins is working loose. Like the other post said use locktite on the bolts and quit grabbing the wheel and pulling yourself in when your getting in the truck, thats usually why the are loose.

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

And to keep it from happening, do not use the steering wheel as a handle to pull yourself into the vehicle.

Not saying you do (PO may have), but this is the cause of the problem. Cars use the exact same column and do not experience this "problem" with the column.

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Just get a column without tilt. That's how I fixed mine, it was too broken to repair.

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I was thinking about doing the same thing. No reason for me to have tilt, the wheel is always in the same position in my rig. Keeps others from driving it too.

Then again, I'm not very big around the middle. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif (no offense folks!) People that share vehicles though, more than likely benefit from the tilt column.

Personally, they all should have been telescopic, with tilt being the option on top of telescopic.

8. bpiccioni

bpiccioni 1/2 ton status

Are telescopic columns even available for trucks? The only telescopic column I've used was on a 65 Corvair that I helped a buddy drive up to Alaska. I agree, the telescopic column is really cool, especially when you wanna get close to the controls for that 'racing' feeling! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

9. 3car

3car 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Are telescopic columns even available for trucks? The only telescopic column I've used was on a 65 Corvair that I helped a buddy drive up to Alaska. I agree, the telescopic column is really cool, especially when you wanna get close to the controls for that 'racing' feeling! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    freightliner century class trucks have telescopic columns

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Dorian,

The only major mod I would make to these trucks is that I'd make the seat go forward more than it does. I'm a midget and I really don't fit in them.

I don't need a telescopic steering column. Hell, I didn't need tilt. I NEVER used it. The first day I owned my truck, I tilted the column straight and left it alone. I can't believe anyone would pay for such an option....

Telescopic still makes more sense than tilt though. A smaller steering wheel might too.

11. paveslave

paveslave Registered Member

I had tilt/telescopic in a '72 & a '74 Caddy. I would think it wouldn't be a hard swap as they're both GM columns. I've never tried it so can't be sure.

12. bpiccioni

bpiccioni 1/2 ton status

So who wants to try it? /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I need to tear into my column myself to figure out what's causing it's looseness at the pivot (probably the same loose screws as everyone else) as well as to install a new variable speed wiper switch w/ Cruise. The variable speed wiper is only variable in 1/2 mm adjustment range - I'm pretty good at working it, but it does suck, especially during monsoon season. I also have a phantom wiper while in first and occasionally during hard wheel tilts, so maybe some new wires to install as well.

Problem is I dont have much fabrication experience or tools (welder, torch, etc) and I cant bring this pig out of service until I replace my 86 Jetta daily driver currently on permanent loan to my girlfriend.

I'll be willing to offer moral support to someone else though! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif