Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

steering column modification

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by billio, Jan 23, 2003.

1. billio

billio Registered Member

G'day people,
    I recently bought a 1983 Blazer. I like the truck but dislike the fact that the wiper and light switches are on the dashboard.

Does anyone know if I can remove the steering column and replace it with a column from a more recent vehicle that has the wiper and light switches on the column? If so, what year and model vehicle could I get the column from? I would prefer to only change from the tilt part to the steering wheel if possible.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You can *probably* fit any GM column pieces after '83 you want, as long as it looks similar to yours. I made mine from a variety of years.

S10s should be a great source for the upper pieces. The length would be wrong though, and AFAIK, all other GM cars would have the wrong length column for a complete swap as well.

You'll need to get the dimmer switch and rods too, but no biggie there.

3. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I cant think of any GM's that have the lights on the stalk. All the trucks since these Blazers were made have them on the dash, including S10's...unless the 99-ups do...

4. billio

billio Registered Member

I'm actually an expatriate Australian, living and working in Saudi Arabia. In the past I've modified vehicles by fitting parts from another make/model etc.. but all the workers in the spares shops and even the genuine spares places, are manned by people from India or Sri Lanka and they generally don't understand why I want the bits I am asking for?!?!? I was hoping that someone might be able to identify a GM steering column that has the lights and wipers on it. I'd imagine that it would be easier if I could find one that has the tilt mechanism like my Blazer so that I could just change it from there. Again, any help is sure appreciated.

5. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

I think the trucks, blazers and jimmys all went to the column mounted dimmer and wiper controls in the '85 and later models.

6. dyeager535

Sorry, missed the intent of your post. Don't think there is any GM app with the headlights on the column, at least ones that will interchange with the K5 column. High beam switch yes, headlights no.

Maybe after air bags were mandatory, but those columns are entirely different.

7. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

84 and later. My 84 jimmy had the wipers and high beams on the column. I will be doing this swap in the future as well. I really want the intermittent wipers. Anybody know what it will take to do this? Do I need to buy a relay, or is it all in the column??

8. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

the only thing on my column involved with lights is the high beams...a friend of mine had an' 86 K20 with the dimmer on the floor. I know the first C/K dash had the lights on the dash - two buttons you pull out, and the newer dash has a knob

9. dyeager535

Relay is a seperate "box" that mounts or hangs somewhere near the base of the column.

The rest of it is "up" in the column, you are better off buying the newer column and swapping it in place. Stripping these columns is a big job, I know, I built mine from multiple donors, including cars. (for the stick shift column bowl)

Dunno how you'd wire the dimmer, I guess you'd just have to extend the wires from the dimmer switch itself on the floor. Probably cut the dimmer switch plug wiring (truck side, not column side) out of the donor, as far back as you can, then just cut/solder the floor mounted dimmer switch wiring to the "new" plug. The wiper wires would probably need the same treatment.