Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering Column parts Swap

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by snoman87, Aug 9, 2005.

1. snoman87

snoman87 Registered Member

I have a Automatic steering column ... can I remove the automatic shifter part and replace it with the manual steering columns cover.

How easy is it to tear these columns apart ... I have never attempted one ... any tips?

2. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I'm not sure if you can do that. Most people I've heard of just drive out the pin the holds the auto shifter so the lever is gone.

I did some searching a while back here on CK5 for some steering column info and all the old links referenced didn't work any more.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I've done it before, as a matter of fact took the "bowl" piece, and the ring that the shifter handle is on (or missing from in manual/floor shift apps) from a car.

Only real issue is that for some reason I had to cut the hole out for the turn signal stalk out, as it hit when I tried to use the left turn signal. I think that had something to do with install or something, not parts differences. Not positive, there could be differences, but not sure why, all GM columns are essentially the same 70's-90's, very roughly. If they externally look the same, they pretty much are. :)

Only real tough part I recall was pulling the pivot pins out for the tilt mechanism, you can either buy the tool to do it, or get creative and make your own puller. Lots of pieces in there though!

4. snoman87

snoman87 Registered Member

Hmmm ... as much as I would like it to look stock maybe that's a lot of work when I could just pull the shifter pin and go for a beer :D