Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering Column problems?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BozoWise, Apr 4, 2002.

1. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

1979 K5 blazer w/ automatic

When I shift from park somthing seems to snag in the column and once when shifting back into park it sounded like my starter rolled over for a second or too. The column itself is tight but it seem that something is loose around the column. Any thoughts?

2. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Could this have anything to do with me overtightening the 4 bolts below the column or the two under the hood. I do not think I did, but then agan the problem wasn't there until I moved the column forward about an inch.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Well the starter rolling over sounds like the ignition switch may have been engaged for some reason, or the wiring is bare somewhere.

As to actually shifting, check that the linkage isn't binding...the linkage that runs from the column (in the engine bay) to the transmission.

How exactly did you move the column forward an inch? I didn't think there was that much adjustment built into the dash to column studs...

4. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

The performance accessories kit stated that you need to unbolt the two bolts on the firewall clamp and the four bolts under the column. I then slid the entire column toward the front of the vehicle and retightened all the bolts.

I had installed the 3 inch extension on the shift linkage before i moved the column and it shifted fine. I then readjusted it after I moved the column forward and there is no binding from the firewall down to the transmission. It seems to be a problem inside the column. My shift need no is getting stuck but the transmission is shifting. I think by moving it forward there must be something in the column that is binding but I do not know where to look. I am also going to try and move the column back some towards the original position and see if that solves the problem, but I have yet to have time to do that.

5. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Ok NEW news. I loosened all the bolts and pulled the column in and out a few times and then tried shifting while everything was loose. NO problems. I then tightened the four bolts under the cloumn and it shifts fine and the indicator works, but will not go back to park without "jiggeling" the shifter. I think the return spring might not be tight or the cable itself might be binding. I am going to try and lube the cable and channel that it rides in. Then I will tighten the two bolts on the firewall.

Any info would be appreciated, but I wanted to update the post incase someone else might have a similar problem ;-)