Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering Column Question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by exrider, Aug 15, 2004.

1. exrider

exrider Registered Member

Yup its me again. I am going to replace the busted up column in the monster. My question is, what is the length of it? If anyone knows it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, and to everyone who saw it, that truck on TRUCKS! is going to be sick, I can't wait for the next episode.

2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

why do yo need to know ? what year truck you have ? 84-up is not same as 83 down, and in 77 or 78 things changed too on the columns, minor things, other than the steering wheel and cap, appearance mainly,

if you have an 84-up then you can use 88-91 k5 and 1 ton trucks columns too

van columns can work but you gotta shorten the shaft after the firewall part of it, 80-up are keyswitch type column, 79 older key on dash still

i have an 82 column i can measure if you really need to know for some odd reason, you need to know entirelength with the intermediate shaft and all, or just length of the column itself ?

from top end of shaft down to where ?

and why?

good luck

3. exrider

exrider Registered Member

The reason I ask, is that I am looking at buying a completly new column from IDIDIT. My Blazer is a 78, and they need to know the length from end to end.

The key is still on the column, but I installed a start button when the switch inside the column went bad. The other reason I am going with new one is that I have searched all the junk yards in AZ and have still come up with nothing. So I am finally going to give in and buy a new one.

The reason I am buying a new one is that the tilt is shot and also the column shift collar is busted. Basically the whole thing sucks except for the blinkers.

Finally I know everyone says e-bay, well I even tried them and nothing yet to my like.

Thanks for your help.