Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

steering column repair ?s

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BlueOx, May 11, 2002.

1. BlueOx

BlueOx 1/2 ton status

Well, it finally happened someone tried to steal the Blazer. In the process they broke the steering column all up. It’s not really that bad the metal column around the shifter is broken, tilt is all jacked up and the wiper/cruse controls are broken. Honestly it’s not really the bad. I called a shop and told them what was broken and they quoted me a price of $160 not including the wiper/controls. Now, if you ask me that is way to high. Are there any books or web sites that shows how to do the rebuild on the steering column? I have a Chilton manual but it just shows the parts. Any help would be great.

Thanks,
    Charles

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

To be honest with you, $160.00 to fix the column seems to be a fair price as long as that is parts and labor. I know you said it doesn't include the wiper/washer controls. Those controls can be expensive. It takes about 45 minutes to disassemble and reassemble the column. Here in california that equates to about $60.00 just for labor. If the steel portion is broken and maybe even a few other small pieces then parts are about $100.00 making the job $160.00 and being fair about it.

3. Nitrodrip350

Nitrodrip350 1/2 ton status

The absolute best manual that I have found is the actual service manual from Chevy/GMC for your year. I had to take my column apart like you're talking about and these are great!! Even shows actual GM tools need (if any!) Just go on Ebay, got mine for about $35.00

Shane-