Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

steering column shift?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by k20, Mar 29, 2002.

1. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Hey y'all, in my truck ive noticed that my steering column has shifted to the left side. So being directly behind the wheel puts you on the drivers door. Well, before, i loosened these two nuyts and shifted it over. That done it also cured this other annoying problem that i have which is that the wipers sweep one time when you start the truck, put it in park, or let it idle for a few minutes. Anyway, the thing has shifted back over to the drivers door over the past couple weeks, and the wiper prob is back, is there any ohter way, besides the 2 nuts under the column, under the dash, behind that little painted panel? If you have a clue what im trying to describe you are talented, but i dont know how to tell you exactly what they are as im not a great mechanic. Any help is greatly appreciated. K20.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'd be wondering why its moving. You don't use it to pull yourself into the vehicle do you? if you do, stop, and I'd bet the "problem" goes away. This is also why the tilt mechanism gets loose.

3. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

i dont, but soon after i shifted it my dad was gettin in my truck got off balance and grabed it, and then a week or so later i noticed it was back over, and the wipers were screwed again

4. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

anyone else know a way to shift it over?

5. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

just take a look at the whole steering column assembly, including under the hood and check for loose bolts or anything that looks wrong.