Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

steering column shifter wobble

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by G-Force8, Dec 28, 2005.

1. G-Force8

G-Force8 1/2 ton status

May 15, 2005
    I got in my truck ( '91 Suburban ) saturday , cranked her up and reached to put her in reverse when I noticed the column shifter started wiggling not only in the actual shifter bars' mount, but the whole ring that extends around the column as well. It was tight a shifted perfectly for the past two years and I have no idea how it loosened up. If the truck didn't have any sign of a break-in and wasn't still full of christmas presents I would think someone had screwed up the column trying to crank it.

Any clue as to how to tighten it up guys?
  2. blackblazer717

blackblazer717 1/2 ton status

Jul 1, 2004
    i would say even though this is the worst thing ever

(IE: ive had to do it before)
    you need to dissasemble the wntire colomn and see if its broken, i believe theirs little grooves it rides in
    hold on ill go look
    be back in five minutes.

EDIT: i stand corrected the black pieces that moves with your shifter is connected to a tube that runs the lengh of the steering colomn and i believe is pot metal it must have broke free

Last edited: Jan 7, 2006