Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering Column sleeve lock (aftermarket anti-theft device)?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by pcorssmit, Mar 14, 2002.

1. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

I've heard of a sleeve that fits over a GM steering column and locks in place to prevent a thief from busting open the side of the column with a screwdriver to steal a vehicle. Anyone know who sells them or where I could find info on one? One of the guys I work with has had his Jeep stolen multiple times. He wants something visual like this since they break out his window and then break the column (ie a starter interupt switch would only prevent a theft, but not the damage).

Thanks,

Pete

2. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

I posted about this a month ago here, all I could find out was Pep Boys sells them - no one had a manufacturer. Hope this gets someone who knows' attention since I never found one..........

3. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

It's Dorian, I talked with him about it a couple weeks ago and he hooked me up with the guy who makes them , they also sell them in Whitney but both are only good for 82 and up I think it was so I'm gonna wait for this guy to build one that will fit my 74. But I don't know if he ever will, they are like 40 bucks though....

4. DuneRunner

DuneRunner 1/2 ton status

Grant Steering Wheel and Quick Disconnect System. $200 total.
    work great for my K5. They make them for GM's Furds J@@ps, and a few other makes. The steering wheel I got was $100, the main reason I got it was the fact that My knees hit the original wheel when ever I got in. Then I got the Detaching unit for $97 bucks at Pep Boys. I sleep better knowing that a would be theef could not get far with out a wheel.

5. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I suppose for over night or while at home but I wouldn't want to take my steering wheel grocery shopping or to the movies with me, you'd have to carry it around in a backpack or something huh.../forums/images/icons/wink.gif

6. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

I put mine in the Tuffy Console (steering wheel). I use the same stuff like DuneRunner. Except my wheel was like $60 (got a good deal). I must admit though...I rarely use that feature, only when I'm at oddball places...or feel the heat...I'm pretty lazy...
    Boss

7. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I use one on my K5, but its not a high theft vehicle in NYC. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

still , I think the steering colummns were basically the same, I have seen a pretty beefy one at pepboys painted with some kinda red plastic. The person who sold me my truck had one, and you just put your own pad lock on it. Its not absolutely fool proof, but... it adds considerable time to a would be thief. Add a hidden cut of switch too, and you should be pretty good.

8. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys, I told him to try Pep boys, and that I'd keep looking for him.

Pete

9. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

I've got one on my truck that I got at Pep-Boys. I dont go there much but i'll try to check this weekend and see if I can see who makes it. Theres a pic of mine at <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Stickseler>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Stickseler</a>

10. Burbinator

Burbinator 1/2 ton status

Shoot a PM to Dorian (dyeager535) about it.

He has a friend who sells them...