Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering column steering shaft

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by az-k5, Dec 30, 2004.

1. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I found my steering shaft moves around and is completely loose, as it enters the column on the engine side. I have read/heard there is a bearing/race in there. How hard is this to replace. I would like to avoid replacing the column if posssible. It is just a simple no tilt auto column. I searched and found a part number in this thread. Is this the part I need? Should I just find a used column to swap?

BTW I am trying to avoid chaning columns if at all possible. Nothing speacial about this one I am just lazy about some things.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Why not swap in a U-joint shaft? I found one out of a Jeep Cherokee that is really close to the right length. I plan on swapping it sometime soon. There is a member here that sells them for $75 or so too...BOWTIE I think.

Rene

3. mosesburb

mosesburb For Rent Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If it is just the lower column bearing, they are not hard to do. In your vintage, there should be a wire-type retainer ring around the O.D. of the column, then a little metal cap, then work the bearing down and off the shaft. Retainers vary, but take a look at what you have, it's pretty self-explanatory.

4. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Thanx nick, that is how mine looks to be. I will probably just do the bearing then.

Rene, what kinda jeep did you find the shaft in?