Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering column swap

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blazer1978, Jul 8, 2005.

1. blazer1978

blazer1978 Registered Member

I have a '78 which got a 700R4 swap. Being that the orginal column is a 3speed auto....which model Chev/GM can I get a 4 speed column from to a direct fit?

Same issue with the speedo.....new cable required to hook up to stock guage?? :rolleyes:

2. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

I could be wrong but, most GM will bolt up. Only thing might be CC,turn signals may be different.

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

from what i have been told thay are the same. the detents are in the tranny . a gm truck friend of mine does this all the time. he just swaps the indicator and it works good. havent tryed it my self.

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I was just about to post this same reply. There column is the same, the only thing you need to swap is the indicator if you really need to see what gear you're in.

5. blazer1978

blazer1978 Registered Member

OK....sounds pretty good....so my problem my lie then with the fact that the shifter rod isn't properly attached to the shifting sleeve under the hood. (kinda loose). I'll pick up a real one (this is a mok up from the previous owner) and try that out.

I may end up putting in floor ratchet shifter...unknown right now but thanks for the advice.....

6. utchev

utchev Registered Member

I'm using the GM column and shifter in my YJ (took the GM firewall plate off and used the Jeep one--looks factory). Should be a no-brainer in your K5.