Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering column swap

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MNorby, Aug 16, 2005.

1. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

My 86 tild column is completely worn out. Since I put an art carr shifter in I found a manual tranny column from a friend to put in that is non-tilt. It is out of an 82 so the dimmer switch and wiper controls aren't on that column which I am fine with and would rather anyways. MY question is can I hook up the rest of the wires in the harness for the turn signals or any other issues I might run into? Thanks

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Yeah you can, but I would double check with a wiring diagram as to the wire and color location in the connectors to make sure things will match up. Otherwise you might have to move some wires around in the connector.

3. MNorby

I think I'll get on alldata and print out a diagram for both trucks and check wiring

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Another thing , moving them ( switches not present on old column ) to the dash means more modifications .

The headlight switch moved up higher starting in 84 , right where the wiper switch used to be . So You need to locate it below the existng headlight switch and make holes , or get an older dash bezel and do some mods to the dash make it look right for an older truck .

When looking for a wiper switch , I had a 77 and an 83 one laying around , different connector , and different lighting and look , even though they both go in the same spot on pre 84 trucks .

5. MNorby

Hmmm, not too worried about dash :D
    Gonna install switches in the center console and build some aluminum dash for gauges.

DSC02390.JPG

DSC02427.JPG

6. basketcase

basketcase Registered Member

that tilt column might not really be worn out. if it just flops around, the 4 bolts that hold it together are loose. they are a pain to get to, but once u do, a little loctite and the problem is gone forever.

7. MNorby

Well, I got the manual tranny non-tilt column in tonight. Got it wired back in for ign and turn signals. Now I gotta re-wire my dimmer and wipers but no prob. I have tighted my tilt 4 times in since 99 when I bought the truck and have applied loc-tite and star washers too. I make sure I myself don't use the wheel to pull myself into the truck too. I like the simplicity of the non-tilt older column anyways plus cleaners being as it is a manuall tranny column for use in conjunction with my Art Carr.