Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering column vibration

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 6.2L Jimmy, Oct 28, 2002.

1. 6.2L Jimmy

6.2L Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Hi All

Can somebody help me out here? For some reason my truck started vibrating quite hard all the way through the steering column. Does anybody know what could cause this kind of shaking? Has anybody experienced it? It shakes from about 20 mph all the way through 60mph. It seems to shake a bit harder when under throttle, but even if I let off throttle it still does it. Could hubs going bad do this? And it just suddenly started to happen. 1989 Jimmy 6.2L. What do I look for? Thanks for any help.
    Mike

2. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

possibly the front tires out of ballance...or maybe even the alighnment is a little off..thats all i can think that could cause that

3. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

does your steering wheel shake? if so yea i would go with chaz..might be your alignment my dads truck does that to..its a 79..same with my moms ford taurus and thats a 94 so..lol..also did it when the front breaks were bad..when you go to slow down it would shake bad..but thats different from your prob so ill just shut up now.. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. 6.2L Jimmy

LOL,

Thanks for the replys guys. Thats what I think it is too but to happen just like that seemed wierd. Can driving up a 4-5 inch side walk at around 5 mph cause that? I was caught at a trafic light and I was right at the turnoff I was supposed to get off at which is just before the red light so I kinda hopped the side walk because I was just a little too wide to squeeze by. But the truck drove away fine no shakes at all. Dumb thing to do I guess? Can this be the cause? Thanks again
    Mike

5. trouble1

trouble1 1/2 ton status

Bigger tires and wheels are wierd...I've hit stuff that should have knocked me goofy and kept good balance, and barely tapped things that knocked em outta balance. I'm not saying thats your problem, but thats what it sounds like. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. 6.2L Jimmy

Thanks alot guys for the tips
    Mike