Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering Column Voltage Short Question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by beastomatic, Mar 12, 2003.

1. beastomatic

beastomatic Newbie

I have an 84 K5 which I have done some extnsive restoration work on. I am having a problem in the steering column and a voltage drain. When the truck is started and in park the voltage reads about 13. When I shift it into R the voltage drops to about 9 or 10. In Overdrive the voltage is also about 9. If I push the shift lever up to the top side of the shift detent and hold it there the voltage rises to the normal 13. The same thing happens in D and 2. My problem is that if I want the car to run at 13 volts I have to keep my hand on the shift lever pushing it towards the insturment cluster. The truck runs fine at the lower voltages aside from the side effects of the lowered voltage like that the lights are very dim, the oil pressure and temperature guages dont read correctly, and the radio cuts out if the voltage drops too low. If anyone has any suggestions as to what to check for it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. JeremyK5

JeremyK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have no clue, but I'll bring this to the top for you. Good Luck

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

This might sound weird, but check your body grounds. All kinds of weird stuff happens if you don't have a good connection between frame, body, and the negative post of your battery.

4. Doug M

Doug M Registered Member

I think there are two +12V sources inside the steering column, turn signals and ww wipers. Sounds like you're going to have to go inside. http://home.t-online.de/home/O_Scholz/steering.html

Might as well tighten the column and do all other things you can while you're in there. ww wiper switch, key switch, etc.