Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering Column

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by exrider, Jun 25, 2004.

1. exrider

exrider Registered Member

I am lookiing to replace the steering column on my Blazer. I want to go from tilt to non. Does anyone know where I would be able to locate one, besides the junk yard? I have looked at Jegs and Summit, but they are are for sports cars. Also I have seen on the show Trucks and company called IDIDIT. Has anyone dealt with them before, and how were there prices? Finally one last question, all the specs I see on these sites show lengths, does anyone know the length of the column on the Blazer.

Again thanks for any help that you can give.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You can *basically* take one out of any GM car or truck (that the column looks like ours) and splice the non-tilt and above section to one from your truck. I did this, except making a non-floor shift column into floor shift, using the upper section from a car.

There have been some differences based on year, but mainly regarding the headlight switch and wipers added to the column later on. Length is really irrelevant, if you keep the lower section from the truck, you will be fine. Fair amount of work, but sometimes if you want things a certain way, you have to work at them.

The non-tilt truck columns are actually fairly easy to find if you ask me...many fleet/work trucks came this way.

3. exrider

That is exactly what I am looking at doing. I am going to us a B&M Light TrucK Megashifter place it on the floor next to the xfer case. Good to hear that replacing the column wont as hard as I thought, just might take some time to do it all.

4. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

I have a non tilt in my 87. If youa re located anywhere near me i will trade you. Even if yours is broken.

My Non tilt is from a SM465 truck so you would not have to modify it for your floor shifter plans.

5. exrider

I am in AZ where are you located?

6. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Illinois /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

he is in IL and i am too, i also have a non tilt 465 column i dont want, 20 and mail and its yours in nice shape nothng wronmg with it, would have been scrapped by now if i could more easily get to it up there,.

good luck

8. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Where in Az are you? I'm in Tucson and have a column from an 85.

9. exrider

Up in West phoenix, Peoria to be exact

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

For the work, time, effort, and expense involved in converting a column, the minimal shipping expense (and acquisition cost) from anywhere in the US is worth the price.

11. justwhatido

justwhatido 1/2 ton status

I'd love a factory tilt column. I've got a 73 that I could remove the column from and swap if theyt are a straight swap. What year is your truck.
    /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif
    Fred

12. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I put a tilt out of an early '80's car in my '78 truck and a light truck mega shifter. Real easy and looks pretty trick too!. Just had to trim of a tin plate at the base of the column and weld the column shift arm out of the way. Works great! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. exrider

My truck is a 78. Can't swap, the truck is a daily driver, the wife needs it to get to work.

14. exrider

If you can send me a pic of the column. If it is all good we have a deal.