Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

steering column

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by NEK5, May 19, 2006.

1. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

ok i had this noise that was coming from somewhere in the steering that sounded like a clunk...i replaced the box with a reman and shaft from an XJ so i dont think thats it...it does it some time when your going realy slow and turn mostly left but sometimes right, but now i notice that when your doing like 50 on the highway and rock the wheel left to right you can kinda feel it in the floor if you have it next to the brake pedal....any idea? could it be coming from the steering column itself???i remember when we did the shaft and boxed, we kinda yanked the column end by accident

2. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

have you checked the u-joints on the steering shaft?

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Check for a cracked frame at the steering box. This will make a clunking sound as you turn the wheels and the frame flexes beyond the crack and back again.

4. dieselponyexpress

dieselponyexpress 1/2 ton status

Also check front spring bushings.

5. NEK5

the u joints on the shaft were fine when we put it in(it made it before that too)the frame had no cracks in it when we swapped the box, draglink is fairly new..we did the bushings in the frame but not the ones in the springs..how can i check those?

6. hawkeye649

hawkeye649 1/2 ton status

The steering columns in these trucks have a locking mechanism in them. This consists of a metal disk with about 20 pieces of metal cut out of it around the edges that amount to little "u's". Then a pin slides up out of the column to engange this plate to lock the column. In my first K5 the guidance sleeve this pin was in over time had been guided right into this plate, and eventually mooshed over and started making a clicking sound whenever I turned the wheel and it would no longer lock. Maybe what to me is a clicking sound to you is a clunk. All you need to do is pull the steering wheel of IIRC. Or if you have a tilt column experiment with that a bit, I assume any berring can eventually go bad as well and they clunk.
    I have a 1985 tilt colum (non-func cruise and working delay wiper controls), and a 1977 tilt column (blinker and nothing else) if your decide you need a new one.

7. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I would check your springs to see if they are fanning out when you turn..that happend to me when I got brake fluid all over my leaf spring, a couple leafs would move like an 1/8th of an inch side to side and make a clunky poppy noise. 2 cans of brake cleaner and the noise is almost gone.

8. hawkeye649

Sounds like you need to fix it rather than just de-greasing it. Just because if they could start to turn then they must be able to flex better ... Your u-bolt tight and clamps in working order?

9. NEK5

i`ll have to check that out....

Hawkeye....will the tilt column work in my 90?

10. NEK5

hawkeye649 what part of NH??

11. hawkeye649

AFAIK the mounts and steering box connection are the same from 73-91, so yes. I have a 74 and it looks just like my 90. Email me at papasmurf1990@hardcore4x4.com if your interested.
    I also just noticed your in MA. I live right next to Manchester, NH. I'm looking to axe allot of the crap in my yard. I have every wednesday off and would love to see you come around. :wink:

12. NEK5

well i`ll let you know if i narrow it down to that....what part of NH are you?

13. hawkeye649

Manchester again. We're both running around in circles. Email me and I'll give you my #. If your close I actually don't work till 2 tonight. I'm going to be in the yard soon maybe installing my electric fan. I could see you today if ya want.

14. NEK5

i`m actually in Lynn Ma so its probly about an hour ride....its up to you....what are you looking to get for it?

15. hawkeye649

$125 for your choice of columns, I have 3. I have a bazillion parts lying around and good rot repair stuff. If you want to make a trip today that's cool, or if you want to wait so you'll have some time next wednesday would work too.

16. NEK5

i think i`ll need some time next wed would probably work out, maybe you can email me a list of the stuff you got? or PM me on here....

BIGBLAZE433@aol.com

17. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

My truck does the same thing. Where I feel it in the floorboard makes me believe it is a leaf spring issue and not a steering shaft issue. It could be a bad center pin or like they said maybe the springs fanning out. I have my front clamps opened up so that might facilitate the springs fanning.

Ira

18. NEK5

i`m not exactly positive if its the same noise but i think i hear the same noise when i hit a bump in the road