Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering column

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by schwinnd, Jul 19, 2001.

1. schwinnd

schwinnd 1/2 ton status

I've got a '76 Blazer with a really sloppy steering column. I've torn the column down thanks to the outstanding instructions on this site, but, the four screws that should have been loose were not loose at all. It seems that it is just plain worn out. Anyway, I found a non-tilt column at a junkyard and they want $75 for it. Is this a reasonable price? It seems a little spendy to me. The next question is, how hard is it to change out a column. Anything I should be aware of. I'm not on a time limit as it is not my daily driver so it can be out of service for a while. I just don't want the added suspension in my steering column when I start driving it in the fall. Any help would be appreciated. BTW the column has already been pulled from the truck and is sitting on their shelf ready for me to buy it. It's the only one I've found here in town where I live.
    Thanks....
    Dave

Just collecting rusty mid-70's chevy's
    1976 Blazer, 1975 Vega SW

2. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

$75 is about average for a boneyard - Your existing column may yet be repairable though. If you've got the 4 screws tightened and it still feels sloppy, check to see if it's at the tilt joint. Your pawls may be loose/out of alignment, or it may just be bearings. I'd check those two possibilities first before swapping out the column. Sometimes you can also tighten it up by putting 5/16" split washers under the tilt mounting screws.

Generic Signature
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Probably norm price for a 'yard, but I wouldn't pay more than $50 privately, which is where I would buy a column from. You need to watch out for the wiring of the column. Vintage makes a big difference on the columns wiring. Other than that, it will bolt in. Pretty easy swap, all things considered.

I too wouldn't toss it. I've never seen a "worn out" column. Theres obviously something in there worn out or borke, but more than likely, its something replaceable as was said previous.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    No anti-theft measures on your truck? No pity when its stolen

4. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

replace the bushings in your existing column