Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

steering column????

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 72jim, Oct 21, 2001.

1. 72jim

72jim 1/2 ton status

i want to put a tilt column in my truck. do i have to get one from a 69-72 style truck or can i get one from a later model truck? if so what years? also was tilt an option in 69-72 trucks?

72 jimmy

2. SilverJim

SilverJim 1/2 ton status

I don't know about later model trucks, but factory tilt columns were available on our body style truck. There are aftermarket columns available as well as rebuilt factory columns. Early Classic Enterprises or something like that (I can find out for sure if you're interested, I have to dig through some catalogs) sells rebuilt factory columns, but they're a little pricey.

1970 GMC Jimmy 502HO/SM465/NP205 doesn't run just yet!

3. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    A few months ago there was an article in Petersons 4 wheel and off road about certain year chevy vans that had tilt and were an easy fit for 1st generations. If I get time I will try and locate it. If you find it or one that works well let me know cause I am in the market for tilt wheel myself.

4. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    I believe you have to cut and shorten the van tilts a little to make them fit.I herd it's not that hard though.

<font color=green>BobK<font color=green>

5. 1 FN HI K5

1 FN HI K5 1/2 ton status

I put a tilt in my 72 blazer back in july it came out of a 72 chevy van.You dont have to cut anything. I paid $125.00 for mine bought new bearing's about $40.00. While it was out i had it powder coated.But you have to do a little grinding to get the nuteral safty switch to fit because it is a little higher on the colum.
    1 FN HI K5

htpp:/community.webshots.com/user/1fnhik5

6. travis

travis 1/2 ton status

Tilt columns are always on ebay. Search ebaymotors and I bet you wiil find one. Usually you can find one completely rebuilt with new switches and all.

Good luck,
    Travis

7. 72jim

72jim 1/2 ton status

thanks everyone for the info. i think i'll start looking into the van columns to see what i find.when i get it worked out i'll repost what i do.

72 jimmy

8. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

My hunting partner bought his Blazer with a tilt column out of a '73-'84 Blazer in it. It was ugly, but it worked. He's since changed it out for a correct '69-'72 tilt column.

I have a tilt column out of a van and it doesn't exactly fit (and I need to convert it to work with a manual tranmsission). The main shaft will need to be shortened and resplined in order to properly bolt up. Some guys shorten the collapsible intermediate link between the column and the steering box, but I won't do that because you lose a lot of the collapsibility of that link when you shorten it.

9. 72jim

72jim 1/2 ton status

well no pot of gold to report. i lucked out and found a tilt column out of a 72 C20 pickup. in super good shape. droped it in today and it's working fine.

72 jimmy

10. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

Dang... A tilt column out of a pickup seems like a pot of gold to me!

11. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

!!!!!! you s*ck(no offense)!
    You just went out and magically came across one? lol
    damn

oh and for anyone else wanting to use a van tilt, not just any van column wil work, has to be older one- before the key switches were moved to the column !

'72 K-5 4x4, CST, 3.07, 4 speed, NP 205, 31' x 10.5", converting to 2wd and pickup body(I did not want to do this- rust made me do it)

12. MRBIGBLOCK

MRBIGBLOCK 1/2 ton status

i have one for $200.00 delivered.