Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering Column

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by istallion88k5, Jul 17, 2000.

1. istallion88k5

istallion88k5 1/2 ton status

Alright, I have a 88 with tilt steering and after having new shocks put on and alignment done the damn column where the tilt is attached is like loose now, I can move my steering wheel like a inch up, any easy way of pulling that damn thing apart and fixing this? I know it's not the steering wheel itself being loose, it's like something got screwed inside there. Steers fine btw. Don't know how dangerous this is either?

2. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

Have you done this: Take off the small pannel underneath your steeringwheel. There are 2 bolts there that should be tight..
    And on the firewall is two more bolts that should be tight. Other than these two places there is nothing else holding your steering coulumn.
    I know cause I loosened them both when I did my bodylift..

<font color=blue>Espen88k5 at:http://www.espen.coloradok5.com</font color=blue>

3. istallion88k5

The column past the tilt control is fine it is just from the tilt up, like the tilt isn't holding all the way or someting, I pulled the cover off the steering wheel and verfied everything there was tight but now I don't know what to do, I don't know if there is a pin loose or what.

4. Nike

Nike Registered Member

This is a fairly common problem with high miliage chevys with lifts because everyone lifts themselves into the front seat with the steering wheel. I have detailed instructions at home on how to fix this problem, I will try to dig them up tonight and give you the address tomorrow. You will need a steering wheel puller, and the tool to compress the turn signal plate in order to remove a snap ring. Other than that its not to bad of a job. Nike in Mo.

Blue

5. istallion88k5

thanks, look forward to getting this fixed, wierd how it just all of a sudden started doing this. if you need to email me email it to josh@thinnetwork.net

6. Scoobydoo

Scoobydoo 1/2 ton status

Phoenix / Peoria ARIZONA. (75thAve/DeerValley)
    Nike,
    Did you find those instructions? Mine does it too but I get the feeling it is much worse then his, is there a bearing or something in there, that has to be replaced?

7. Nike

Nike Registered Member

Attached is a post I found some time back that details the fix on chevy and some jeep tilt steering colomns. I fixed an 85 blazer and an 88 4wd chevy p/u with tilt colomns and only got to the point of removing the spring. I did not remove it but was able to get to 3 of the 4 bolts with a 1/4 inch drive 12 point socket. Try this post I think it is good, but if you have trouble with it I can fax the article. Thanks Nike
    http://4x44u.vmag.com/forum/pm-0598/messages/1399.html

Blue

8. ggallin13

ggallin13 1/2 ton status

I had the same problem, I just started taking the column apart. It is actually pretty easy to fix, the hardest part for me was getting the wheel itself off!