Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering Column

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Triaged, Jun 26, 2002.

1. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I am having problems with my steering column. If I could get it apart is might be easier to find the problem and rig something to work. Does anyone have a explode view of the column or instructions on how to get into one.

I have a tilt column and I have it down to where I can see the top bearing. I think the lower bearing (on the other side of the tilt mechinism) is shot (parts of a inner race and some bearings fell out from the shifter area /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

Also if anyone knows where I could get that bearing I could use that info too.

Thanks,
    Dan

2. 1 FN HI K5

1 FN HI K5 1/2 ton status

I bought a tilt last year from a junk yard and had a hell of a time finding the bearing. The dealer is no help the bearings were discontinued.But i got a copy off the exploded view. I got The bearings from Brothers trucksweb page (1-800-977-2767 in Corona CA. There are two different size bearings upper and lower. <font color="red"> 1 FN HI K5 </font color>

3. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I had ordered the bearing from LMC. It looks like I just got the upper bearing and not the lower...too bad because it is the lower that is toast. I got the upper bearing out...now how do I get the lower bearing out? Does it come out the top too? It is hard to tell becaues it is so messed up in there.

I might end up having to get that bearing from those Brothers Trucks. Corona is not too far from hear. I still hope to be on my way to Blazer-Fest by 10:30 in the morining...we'll see what happens.

4. harry

harry 1/2 ton status

When I rebuilt my column I collected 3 from the j-yard. I think I have a couple extra lower bearings. I will look for one tonight and if I find one you can have it.

the exploded view is in the assembly manual. If you don't have one let me know and I can scan the pages.

harry

5. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I bought both the upper and lower bearings for the upper part of the column...but they only came with the outter race, bearings, and cage...no inner race. It is the lower inner race that is bad (broken into many pieces that fell out of the column /forums/images/icons/frown.gif ). If you have a spare one I could put it to good use.
    Thanks

6. harry

harry 1/2 ton status

I am pretty sure I have the part you need, I will look tonight. Did you ever get the exploded diagram?

7. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I did...I bought a factory manual at the place I bought the lower bearing. The part I couldn't figure out (because of a lack of sleep/light amoung other things) was that the steel sleeve just slides off over the column to get a slide hammer to pull the tilt pins out.

8. blazer7172

blazer7172 Registered Member

Do you think I could get that diagram from you. I took it apart sometime ago, and now I cant remembe how to get it back together!!

9. StevoandaRedK5

StevoandaRedK5 1/2 ton status

Here's an exploded diagram from my '73 GM manual, dunno if it'll help ya though.

[​IMG]

10. blazer7172

blazer7172 Registered Member

Thanks man. Unfourtanetly, mine is a 72 so its quiet different.
    Thanks anyway.

11. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Do you have a Factory Service Manual yet? :thinking:

Section 9-12 has a nice exploded view of the steering column...

The Factory Assembly Manual and the Factory Service Manual are pretty much required reading if you're going to own one of these old trucks. If you don't have them yet, you should pick them up.... they're easy to find through the online sources.

:usaflag:

12. bp71k5

bp71k5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

For reference since this thread is over 7 years old, I rebuilt my tilt column and it was kinda tough to get that lower section off. I had to drive out a pin somewhere in there to get it to separate.

If anyone needs a factory service manual, I've got an extra brand new one still wrapped in plastic you can have for the shipping costs. PM me if interested.