Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

steering column

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by inaminute5150, Apr 22, 2003.

1. inaminute5150

inaminute5150 Registered Member

Do anyone have or know where to find a diagram of replacing steering column in an 89k5?Need to replace and chilton or haynes are no help desparate,also did search no help either!/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Replace entirely or repair?

For replacement...

Disconnect the steering shaft from under the hood. Disconnect the trans linkage (if auto) - also under hood. Undo 4 or 5 bolts that hold the "foot" of the column to the firewall. Undo the trim that fills in the dash under the steering column. Undo metal portion as well. Remove vent duct (if AC). There will be two large nuts (one on each side of column). As you remove these, the column should drop. Disconnect the harnesses. Also disconnect the shift indicator clip (if auto). It should pull right out now.

This is the 2 minute version of what I remember... it should account for 80-90% of the job.

For repair.... its easier to show than to explain
    pics

3. inaminute5150

I need to replace entirely /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. inaminute5150

Curious . What tool was it that you used to get the locking mechanism back on,sure wished i would've had one while working on my column, after while the hand muscle just starts to cramp up /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Lock plate compressor, usually cost about $10 at chain auto stores. Well worth the $$, even if you use it just one time, especially after trying it "manually" once. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

6. inaminute5150

It is definitely worth 10 bucks even if not used at all! my hand will seocnd that notion.Thanks for info /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif