Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

steering column

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 82_k5, Oct 3, 2003.

1. 82_k5

82_k5 Registered Member

will the steering column off a 1983 oldsmobile fit onto a 1982 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif? what about wiring? Thank you

2. 82_k5

82_k5 Registered Member

the jimmy has a windsheild wiper switch on the dash and the oldsmobile has the switch in the column as well as the headlight dimmer. Could i just not use the ws wiper and dimmer on the column or is the harness totally diff.? sorry for the long post, thanks for the cool site

3. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

well hey welcome to ck5...putting it to the top for ya..

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'm sure it won't. Oldsmobile column is more than likely a completely different length.

Parts will swap between the two, but not the whole thing.

5. tackettb

tackettb Registered Member

most likely it's about 2 " too short, I just brought one from a buick home and everything is exactly the same but it's just too short.

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

you could do it, once you find a way to hook it all up somehow and m,ake it functional, it iwl be custom, you will have to get creative, there are alot of things different from car to full size truck when you are talking steering wheel all way downto tie rod ends, nothing will interchange, is whole new design/different geometry, the steering boxes dont even mount same or anything

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Not if its RWD. RWD cars use almost exactly the same column as the trucks did, all the way up to about 1996. (I've got an '80's Grand Prix console shift column bowl on my truck)

Steering wheel, steering box, intermediate shaft, mounting methods, all *almost* identical to trucks (some year changes to be expected) but just not the length. The columns are more similar than different between RWD cars and trucks.