Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

steering comlumn worn out????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1-bad-burb, Jul 7, 2005.

1. 1-bad-burb

1-bad-burb Registered Member

so now on my 85 3/4 ton sub I have replaced the ball joints, drag link, tie rod ends, and last but not least the powersteering box :mad: and after all that it definatly drives better and can hold a straight line, but there is still alot of play in my steering wheel, everythng is tight on the stuff I replaced, and its not a tilt wheel, what could be causing this???? i can turn the wheel from about 11:00 to 2:00 with no response, could the steering column itself be worn out??? I know the spring bushings are completly worn out and I'm going to be replaceing them saturday, could this have anything to do with it? I could use a little advice on what areas to check, I realy hope I dont have to spend more money on a new steering column :mad:

2. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

you should probably check the connection from the column to the steering shaft. (on the firewall) It can loosen over time, so pull it apart and inspect it for wear and tightness. Another thing to check is the "rag joint" at the steering box...

3. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

you can check the rag joint to see if its loose. also check the pitman arm. mine was loose and had begun to strip which caused a bit of scary play.