Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering component question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Muddytazz, Sep 11, 2002.

1. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I'm not to up knowledge wise on steering components yet, and I'm gonna be putting on a 4" lift to my burb in a couple weeks. The arm that comes off the gear box to the knuckle is a steering arm right? Well i've done some searching and I can't seem to find a definite answer. Will I have to get a 4" raised arm for the 4" lift? Or is it really just gonna be a drive it and see how it handles kinda thing?

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

The arm coming off of the steering gear box is called the pitman arm. You will not have to touch that. The arm coming off of the knuckle (looks like a tweaked, heavy duty horse-shoe with three studs holding it on) is called the steering arm. And yes, with a 4" lift, you will need a 4" raised steering arm - otherwise you will have limited turning in one direction.
    You will notice, if you put on the lift without the raised steering arm, that your draglink (that's the rod connecting the pitman arm and steering arm) is at a severe angle. The idea is to keep the draglink as close to parallel with the ground as possible.

3. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

And the piece that goes between those two is called the drag link. You can use a raised steering arm, a dropped pitman arm, or an s-shaped drag link to correct the steering. The raised steering arm is the best and strongest way to go.

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Cool thanks for the info.