Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering components messed up

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 90K5, Dec 16, 2000.

1. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Went to get my truck aligned today at NTB and the ysaid they wouldn't do it becuase all my steering parts are shot. I've known my tie rod ends were messed up because the grease boots are ruptured from years without grease...damn jiffy lubes...my ball joints are also messed up really bad. Anyway, the ysaid it would be $1100 for them to fix it, but I'll do it my self, thats easy work. Who has good prices on these parts? Are the LMC ones good or should I get them at the dealer? Are they the same part from both places? TIA

90K5

2. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Oh yeah, I need a new draglink and I need a steering correction so I figure I'll kill two birds with one stone and get a drop drag link. Who makes them? Superlift? I have a 3" lift

90K5

3. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

OK, I went to superlifts website and I saw that there are only drop draglinks for 2" or 4". I have a 3" lift. Should I get the 2"?
    Hey I'm getting to be an old hand at this[​IMG]

90K5

4. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>Dont get a dropped draf link, get a raised steering arm. Tie rods ends are easy to replace, just thread the old ones off and the new ones on. Ball joints require a special too to remove them I think.</font color=blue>

5. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Where does a raised steering arm go?

90K5

6. militaryblazer

militaryblazer 1/2 ton status

The Steering Arm is the C-Shaped thingamajig on the driver side and has the bolts with weird nuts on them that are lots of fun to get off. Lots of WD-40, A big hammer, and a few choice words!!

<font color=orange>'86 Military Blazer with 4" Lift & 33" Tires</font color=orange>[​IMG]

7. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

On the left steering knuckle. It is held on by three bolts. It connects to your drag link.
    -- Mike

8. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

90K5!! How long you been hanging out here? If you are the same one I have read from in the past, I know htat you know wha the steering arm is? Did you have amnesia or something?

I miss my Ex, but my aim is getting better!
    http://mccordhouse.freeservers.com

9. CV202

CV202 1/2 ton status

I can't say enough good things about Moog parts (tie rods etc). You may pay a little bit more but it's definitely worth it. (Read: indestructible, well almost:) )

Why do people keep calling it a Bronco!!!!!

10. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Hey!! I forgot which one the steering arm was when i wrote the post, but I remembered last night...anyway, is that the best one to repalce?

90K5

11. Hobbes68

Hobbes68 Registered Member

I'd definitely do the steering arm. Go for the 2" if you can't find a 3" part. Moog makes very good quality parts and they're not too expensive. Stay away from bagain basement parts -- they'll crap out in no time and you'll just have to do the job again!

12. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I really don't have the cash to use expensive parts. I added up everything I needed from LMC and it was $260. Are their parts good? I've bought some of their interior parts and less important things there, but for stuff like this I'd like to know where its coming from. Are they GM parts sold by LMC or what? Would they be the same thing I would get at a dealer? Also, where cna I get Moog parts? I went to their website and it was not very helpful.

90K5

13. Channing74

Channing74 Registered Member

do you have an Orielly's ??? they carry moog, Also carquest. Spend the extra for the good stuff.... Trust me i see it everyday.... When i installed my lift kit i had problems getting my steering arm off so I read the destructions [​IMG] and it said verbatim ..... use a bigger hammer.......

Bigger Is Better
    Channing74

14. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Thanks, we do have an O'Reillys but it kind of far away, but I can make the trip. I called O'Reillys and they have all of the stuff I need except the drag links. Is there another name these get called by or something? The Chevy dealer had trouble with this too.

Who makes raised steering arms? I guess with this steering deal I need to do it right, so i never have to mess with it again. Also I have an idea on how to get the steering arm off. Could you take the bolts off and jack up the whole truck by the steering arm? I would think that should pop it off, but would it just bend the studs? Thanks

90K5

15. k5king

k5king 1/2 ton status

when you take the steering arm off you will need to be very careful not to mess up the studs!!! if you do that you might as well throw it out and find one in a yard cause getting new studs put in is not cheap or easy!!! all i can say is to spray it down with wd-40 for AT LEAST SEVERAL DAYS before you try to remove it..if you can drive it just loosen the nuts slightly so as not to keep a lot of pressure on them and CAREFULLY drive it for a day or so... i take no responsability if you mess up and kill yourself just be careful!! then take the nut's off and beat the hell outta it!!!careful not to damage or bend the studs!! you might need to get 'er hot also!!!
    also another secret is to beat up on it as much as you can but also beat it down a couple of whacks... this shifts the tension from one side to the other and helps to loosen the cones inside and hopefully after about a six pack or so it'll pop off!!!
    oh yeah,,,wear gloves and watch out where you swing and hit....YOU WILL WHACK YOURSELF AT LEAST ONCE!!! LOL
    good luck

steering arm's can be bought from most lift companies,,what make lift do you have??? call them and ask for the raised arm for your lift and rig..

drag link's.... what idiot in the dealership did you talk to??? i have a 4" drop drag link i bought from superlift but you should go to the dealer and point it out on the comp. for them.....you may just be able to get the new joints for it instead of the whole thing,,i think they are like $100 or so...???

ANYBODY LOSE THEIR JEEP????????[​IMG]
    I JUST FOUND ONE UNDER MY BLAZER!!!![​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

16. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I forgot to ask this, why is a raised steering arm better than a drop drag link?

90K5

17. k5king

k5king 1/2 ton status

well everything on a steering system is supposed to move in a straight line,,with a dropped drag link you are putting two bends in it to achieve the same straight line but some say you could possibly bend the drag link under high torque but i don't see how with mine,,,a steering arm does the same but for some reason it works better than the link does,,probably cause of fewer moving parts!! I.E. ball joints in the drag link...
    check out what i had to do for my 8" lift steering to work properly...http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1336065 check out what's left of my rig and my steering arm and drag link

ANYBODY LOSE THEIR JEEP????????[​IMG]
    I JUST FOUND ONE UNDER MY BLAZER!!!![​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]