Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering correction after a lift installation

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Mudzer, Mar 24, 2000.

1. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

I have been driving my Blazer for several years after installing my 4" lift. I noticed from the beginning, after installing the lift, I can turn sharper to the left than the right. In fact when turning right at a stop light, in most cases my Blazer takes two lanes. I am wanting to finally correct this problem. Could someone explain how to adjust the drag link to cure the problem. I already have the raised steering arm that is sold with most 4" kits. Thanks.

<font color=red>Mudzer</font color=red>
    1978/91 K5 Blazer

2. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

Installing a raised steering arm should solve most of your steering problem. Also, you can add a dropped 2" draglink which will help a little but the arm would be the first thing I purchase.

BTW-
    If anyone is interested, I do have a Superlift dropped draglink for sale. It's in the parts for sale board.

Shawn
    87 K5

3. When you turn one way the drag link is pushing and the other way it is pulling. It will loose that distance that it had when it was straight. The goal is to get the drag-link level so it pushes even and pulls even. Go with the 4-6" Arm for 54 bucks !!!

[​IMG]<font color=red>BigBurb[​IMG]
    <font color=purple>IF YOU'RE SCARED, SAY YOU'RE SCARED !!

4. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

I have the 4" arm that they sell with most kits. I think I need to adjust the draglink? Not sure..

<font color=red>Mudzer</font color=red>
    1978/91 K5 Blazer

5. Yup, you're right !!!

[​IMG]<font color=red>BigBurb[​IMG]
    <font color=purple>IF YOU'RE SCARED, SAY YOU'RE SCARED !!

6. charliel

charliel Registered Member

I'm in the same boat you are. I took mine to a shop and the tech told me the pitman arm needed to face 90 degrees from the frame...like stock. He suggested I adjust the adjusting sleeve on the draglink to compensate. You can only adjust it so far though. Seems the raised steering arms should compensate for this but they don't.

77 Jimmy High Sierra

7. Tommy

Tommy 1/2 ton status

I have the same problem, but my left turn is shorter. I have screwed the draglink in as far as it will go, I guess I'm gonna have to cut some off the ends of the tie rod ends so it will shorten a little more.