Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering correction for 8" lift?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by AGM73k5, Jul 12, 2001.

1. AGM73k5

AGM73k5 1/2 ton status

I'm in the process of putting 8 inch springs under my truck and will need to complete the steering shortly. I've got a d44 front that will be upgraded to a d60 prior to any hard wheeling. I will however be driving on the d44 on the street for at least a couple of months before I make the upgrade. As well I will likely go to crossover steering at some point in the future but again this is also a few months off at the minimum. Right now the steering correction devices I have are a 3 inch steering block for the d44 and a 4 inch raised steering arm. Steering components are an area where my knowledge is somewhat lacking so I have a few questions.
    1) Are the raised steering blocks something to be wary off? I don't intend to wheel the piss out of my rig until I get that d60 but I'd like to be able to drive down a gravel road without losing steering.
    2) Should I invest the money in a new draglink with a 4 inch drop rather than using the block or the raised arm? If this is a part I will be replacing when I go to crossover steering then I'd rather not blow the cash on it only to use it for such a short ammount of time.

Any input or ideas are appreciated.
    Thanks,
    -Aaron

___ __ _ _ ____ __
    AGM73k5 -- ajgm1@yahoo.com

2. Re: Steering correction for 8\" lift?

I had a 3" block and a 4-6" raised arm. I was pulling out of a parking spot when I snapped 2 out of three bolts from the knuckle clear off and bent the crap out of the third and yanked it clear out of the knuckle. I had to replace the whole knuckle and I quickly ditched the block. I run a 12" lift and have the 4-6" raised arm, 4" drop drag-link, and a 2" drop pitman. Not the best steering around, but it gets me where I need to go. The arm and drop drag-link should be fine untill you get the D60 and due a cross-over which is best for lifted vehicles.

[​IMG]<font color=red>BigBurb[​IMG]
    <font color=purple>IF YOU'RE SCARED, SAY YOU'RE SCARED !!

3. AGM73k5

AGM73k5 1/2 ton status

Re: Steering correction for 8\" lift?

Ouch, thanks for the info. Anyone else got any input on this?

Thanks,
    -Aaron

___ __ _ _ ____ __
    AGM73k5 -- ajgm1@yahoo.com