Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

steering correction

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gmcjimmy4x4, Apr 21, 2007.

1. gmcjimmy4x4

gmcjimmy4x4 1/2 ton status

For some time now my steering wheel has been about 90 degrees out. Im not sure how it happened, but likley happened when i had an alignment done. The problem is that the connecting arm between the gearbox and steering knuckle is already spaced so far apart in the coulping. Is there any easy fixes you could suggest.

2. nad

nad 1/2 ton status

I have this same problem. It happened after I put my drop pitman arm on.

3. gmcjimmy4x4

I did put a raised steering arm on ,maybe thats how it happened. But still how do you correct it?

4. nad

nad 1/2 ton status

I'm not sure, that's what I'm waiting for. Someone that knows how. ;)

5. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

by adjusting ur draglink

6. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

There are 2 ways to fix this:

1) Is to play with your draglink length. If 4wd steering setup, the pitman arm should be at 90 degrees to the frame with the wheels pointed straight, if 2wd (crossover), the pitman arm should be parallel to the frame with the wheels pointed straight.
    2) Is to take off your steering wheel and rotate it to the correct position. NOTE: This should ONLY be done if the steering linkage is in the correct adjustment and the wheel rotation is off.. the steering box should be centered when the wheels are pointed forward. Effectively, the only time you should do this is if you messed with the steering box or the steering shaft.

7. gmcjimmy4x4

I thought that both the pitman arm and steering whent only went on one way. Can either of them be rotated to any desired position?

8. broncoman6524

broncoman6524 1/2 ton status

the pitman arm is a one shot kinda thing. i *believe* that it can be moveed a tooth or 2 but om not 100%.

wehn he says the steering he means the draglink and the tires pointed at a true forwards direction

9. nad

nad 1/2 ton status

So will driving with the steering wheel off 1/2 a turn mess anything up? All I have to do is take the pitman arm off the drag link, turn the wheel straight, then adjust the draglink to meet the pitman arm, right?

10. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

yes, provided the pitman arm is the problem... it should be at 90 degrees from the frame when you are driving straight. That way the sector shaft is in the middle of its rotation, so you can turn equal distance right and left (at least at the steering box anyway)

if the pitman arm is already at 90 degrees, the problem lies somewhere else.

btw gmcjimmy: that was a crappy alignment if they left your steering wheel off 90 degrees... dont go to that place again

11. gmcjimmy4x4

Ive decided the only safe place to take my truck is my own driveway. You never know what can happen at some of these places nowdays. Now that you mention cenering the sector shaft, i htink i might have a tighter turning radius in one direction but i never really thought it was related till now.

12. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

Just adjust your draglink, that is the right way to do it. Its not hard at all.

13. gmcjimmy4x4

But isnt it going to weeken the arm if i get the coupling to close to the ends of the arms. Theres not alot of overlap now.

14. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

well it might need to go in, or like you said go out, but it only takes a turn or two

15. gmcjimmy4x4

Well im affraid to adjust it out anymore than it is, i wouldnt want it to strip out and leave me stranded in the middle of nowhere.