Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

steering???crossover,drop links,or rack and pinion

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by k5king, Dec 17, 2000.

1. k5king

k5king 1/2 ton status

could you use a rack and pinion steering bolted right to the rearend housing to steer with or are they not strong enough to turn big tyres???? seems like you could get away from all the geometry of crossovers and drop links if the steering was right in line with the steering arm..i know it would have to be well placed and shielded to keep the nasty's away from it but would it not get rid of bump steer and it also would not bind no matter how far you twisted your rig on a trail...maybe even a double rack set up would turn big meats better,,,almost like hydraulic steering but it would be more controlable.....
    just some thoughts,,have to much free time on my hands on the weekends[​IMG] so let me know what you think,,let's hear it steering guru's!!!

ANYBODY LOSE THEIR JEEP????????[​IMG]
    I JUST FOUND ONE UNDER MY BLAZER!!!![​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. k5king

k5king 1/2 ton status

<font color=green>anyone??? c'mon i know someone has to know something!!!! how about "i think"'s or "just my opinion" or "just my .02"</font color=green>

ANYBODY LOSE THEIR JEEP????????[​IMG]
    I JUST FOUND ONE UNDER MY BLAZER!!!![​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

3. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

If you used a rack and pinion on your axle, you would still need to get the steering shaft down to it. The linkages for that would be much more complicated than a crossover unless you used an electric system like the new quadra-steer from Delphi. That would get really expensive very quickly. A hydraulic ram would accomplish pretty much what you want to do but then you need to set up the pump and valves, etc. A crossover can be setup pretty easily and relatively cheaply compared to the other options. If it's setup right you can completely eliminate bumpsteer too.

Joe
    RIT Mini-Baja http://www.rit.edu/~bajawww
    Team Mudnuts http://www.mudnuts.org