Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering Damper

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by alec78, Aug 5, 2004.

1. alec78

alec78 1/2 ton status

To boot or not to boot???

I know, stupid question but thanks to the parts jockey at 4WP, I don't know if I should. I know that the boot will keep dirt from damaging the polished surface and keep the seal longer. But he said it wouldn't matter as its going to leak with or without. He also said that it has a lifetime warranty so why bother.

So for true longivity which is better: booted or not. (not worried about looks here)

Stupid question #2:
    I currently don't have a steering damper and have not noticed anything different from any other truck I've driven, granted my tires are only 30s. Since the parts jockey couldn't tell me maybe someone here could. What does it do anyway??? (yes I know, newibe question /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif )

Thanks for the help!!!

2. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

The steering stab helps with bump steer and helps keep your rig stable while traveling at high speeds. When you have one that is not working you should notice your rig sways a lot on the highway. I recently replaced mine and noticed a big difference on highway speeds (more stable).

3. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

It also helps you stay in control if you hit a large pothole etc. or if you have a blowout. This is especially important with larger tires. That's why some of us feel that a dual setup is good for our rigs.

4. alec78

alec78 1/2 ton status

Well that seems simple enough. Thanks! I guess I do kinda notice that. Makes me wonder what it will be like when I fix it.

Of course, I'm also thinking I will definatly NOT listen to 4WP for advice or info. /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

5. stallion85

Yea, if you can avoid them with questions it would be in your best interest. The guys here are "experts" with our rigs specifically /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

They also lower the shock load on the steering system. When you hit a bump on one side it kicks the wheel. The steering damp slows down the kicking.

7. backcountry

backcountry 1/2 ton status

Install the boot. It will protect the polished rod from nicks that will damage the seals. Make sure that the drain holes are down so that water will be able to drain more efficiently. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

8. alec78

alec78 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif THANK YOU!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I knew that he was blowing smoke up my /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

9. stallion85

[ QUOTE ]
    polished rod

[/ QUOTE ]

You said, "polished rod"

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif