Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering Damper?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Stroked72Blazer, Feb 19, 2003.

1. Stroked72Blazer

Stroked72Blazer 1/2 ton status

Is it possible to overkill with a double damper. 6" lift, 33" tires soon to be 35s

2. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

Not that I have ever noticed/been told. with 33's you can get away with a single but with 35's I would definitely use a double. So, if you went double now, you would be fine and ready for the 35's.

-Ryan /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. smp

smp 1/2 ton status

I wouldn't think it would be nessary to run a double set up i would wait till you put the 35's on and go from there if you feel its needed than go for it. It wouldn't be overkill i have seen some people run as many as 4 but it was more for looks not function. I only run a single and have 40" tires with crossover steering.

4. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

I have a Trail Master dual damper system on my Blazer with 32s. It really isn't overkill even for those tires.

5. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have 35s and only a single steering stablizer and it seems fine. I drove for a while with no steering stablizer when i had to get a new one and it had quite a bit of bumpsteer it felt like but wasn't horrible. A single feels good, never tried 2. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

6. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I have 36's and no dampener on it right now. I need to put one on but I haven't even noticed it missing.

One bonus to a good steering dampener is that it will take some of the stress off your frame around the steering box...I just don't like any of the double mounts. They all stick out too much.

7. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I'm with Triaged and Ryan on this one!
    I think two stablers is not needed. On good one will do the trick just fine. As stated already the doubles tend to hang WAY too low for my liking. I have 35"SSRs and run a single Rancho stablizer and it works just fine... /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

8. Steve_Chin

The Trailmaster setup I have doesn't hang all that low. Maybe a little lower than a single, but the shocks are mounted in opposition to each other at the same height so that you're compressing one while extending the other. I know that I could probalby adjust mine so that I could get it another inch higher, maybe more.

9. Stroked72Blazer

Stroked72Blazer 1/2 ton status

I guess my main concern is over powering the power steering. Is that possible?

10. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

I dont know about over powering it. My frame is strenghtned up in the front (not by one of those weld in frame crack kit things), so it doesnt flex all over and put stress on the frame when you turn the wheel, I have Skyjacker dual stabilizers and 42's and mine you can turn with your pinky! No crossover eithr.

11. skyblazer

skyblazer 1/2 ton status

I'm glad to hear that the damper helps. I'm installing one today on my truck. I went to some real soft springs (about 240#/inch) and now the ride is great, but I got some nasty roll steer and bump steer. I installed a swaybar with disconnects to fix the roll steer...problem solved. The bump steer is tolorable, but I was hoping the damper would mellow it out a bit.

12. Steve_Chin

The factory assist setup is so over-boosted it's ridiculous. I have a small diameter road-racing steering wheel from Momo and turning the wheel is so easy that I want to re-valve the box (for better road feel, mostly).

Of course, the over-boost situation would come in handy in some yukky mud or on the rocks...