Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering "drift" question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TowRig, Mar 23, 2002.

1. TowRig

TowRig Registered Member

Steering \"drift\" question

I recently lifted my 1986 M1009 with a 4" rough country kit and a few new problems have arose. The Kit came with a new pitman arm and front springs; the latter of which has substantially stiffened up the front end. I had a little drift before and thought it was the old front springs but now its gotten pretty exciting to drive with the tracking to the oncoming lane and ditch. The steering box is anchored to the frame rail real solid. Also, I jacked up the front end and tried to determine if there was any play in the tie rod ends and didn't seem to be an issue. I'm thinking its the steering box but have no clue as to whether there is an adjustment for slash in the gears. Any help would be appreciated.

2. René

René 1/2 ton status

Re: Steering \"drift\" question

In the opposite of the pitman arm, you can see a screw with a lock nut. There you can adjust the play of the steering gear. But I can’t imagine that this should be the reason.

3. kmbonomo

kmbonomo 1/2 ton status

On my 83 theres a nut on top of the steering box with a screw in the middle, break the nut loose, turn the screw in till it touches then tighten the nut again, that will eliminate the slop in the gear box.. Keith

4. Burbinator

Burbinator 1/2 ton status

Actually, there is one more step prior to tightening the locknut. After the adjusting Allen screw until it bottoms, back it off 1/2 turn and then tighten the locknut. Also, make sure the steering wheel is centered while adjusting.

If you adjust it all the way in until it stops, you will have zero lash, creating a potential for binding and premature wear or failure.

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The steering box may be attached solidly to the frame, but is the frame itself solid? Cracking of the frame around the steering box is a common GM truck malady. Check it very closely while someone turns the steering wheel from side to side.

6. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

I just installed the steering box brace from ORD and it tightened everything up dramatically! It should've been my very first mod, I feel stupid for waiting so long.