Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

steering fix? box the frame at the box?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by supersize75k5, Nov 10, 2005.

1. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

Im tired of rigging up my steering and one major saftey issue my truck has is the steering.. between having the frame crack and having the bolts sheer off im tired of it!

so I decided to rip off the cross member and all the steering, then I boxed the frame with 3/16 from the engine crossmember back,

my plan is to just run longer bolts with washers and have the load on the inside of the frame rather then just the weak outside of it, also added a piece of tubing and tied it to the other side to keep the frame from having any movement.

is this an ok idea, or anybody suggest a better way?

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

you should put tube over the bolts welded to the inside and outside of the frame, that way they are sharring the load instead of squeezing the frame together.

dont forget to fish mount the ends where its boxed.

3. suburban n progress

suburban n progress Registered Member

not sure if its bad ass enough but offroaddesign i bought there steering box brace..my frame wasnt cracked yet so i just bought the brace but they have a weld on piece designed for it for like 125 i like the brace steering feels much tighter if that makes any sense

4. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

that is what I did and had no problem and peice of mind. the only one that wasnt sleeved was the one right next to the crossmember. oh yea, and get bolts long enough to put a nut on the back side (the box side) for little more clamping force.

5. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

oh yea, and since i didn't have a bumper (dont know if you do or not) i boxed the other side and ran a peice of tube across them to keep the steering side from moving at all.

6. blazd88

blazd88 1/2 ton status

supersize I was thinking of something similar. a box brace is great but it doesnt hold the box on, just holds it in place as well as the frame. let me know how it turns out. i have heard of a few different ways of doing this but havent yet decided.