Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering gear adjustment ?'s - Yes I did a search...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by shane74, Sep 23, 2004.

1. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Steering gear adjustment ?\'s - Yes I did a search...

but couldn't find what I was looking for. I have some play in steering gear (it's about a 2 yr old reman gear). It's enough to make it wander on the road pretty bad. I have replaced most of the front end parts (ball joints/all bearings and seals/drag link/ tie rod, etc.)and there is no play in any of the front end. You can turn the steering wheel almost a 1/4 turn before you see any movement at the pitman arm. I thought you could adjust it by loosening the lock nut and turning it in 1/4 turn till the play minimized. I guess I was wrong. So, my question, is...how do I adjust the steering gear so that I don't have so much play? Also, how do I know when I have that locknut/allen screw back where it's supposed to be? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Re: Steering gear adjustment ?\'s - Yes I did a search...

Anybody? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Adjusting the lash adjuster on the top of the box is one of the worst things you can do for a box! The adjusting steps are in any good manual. You start by disconnecting the drag link, loosening the large stamped steel lock nut under the rag joint. You then have to put a in*lb torque wrench on the steering wheel and measure the preload while adjusting. Then (and only then!) you can mess with the adjuster on the top of the box. I supose you could do it by feel if you wanted but you should look up what the torque should be so you know what you are trying to hit. Maybe I should do a writeup on this...I think about 99.9% of people do it wrong (by just cranking down on the lash adjuster). When it is done wrong your box might have less play in it but it could also get stuck turned or not turn when you need it to and will also cause it to wear out quicker.

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

The "other"adjustment is the large nut(actually its a locknut) behind the rag joint where the steering colum meets the box,but it requires a spanner wrench and expertise to adjust it--every one I touched either leaked,felt "lumpy" or too tight after I messed with it,I ended up buying a good used box at the boneyard for 50 bucks.I tend to replace rather than repair steering boxes--they are too important to have working correctly to mess around trying to fix one,and usually its more expensive to try to save one than replace it.Being a survivor of a rag joint failure on my 74 K20,I can say that there isnt much of a worse a feeling than turning the steering wheel,and having it spin in circles with no resistance,and no response from the front wheels--- /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

5. hawkeye649

hawkeye649 1/2 ton status

Where in mass are you?
    North, east, west, etc. Don't recognize the name. Been looking for a muddin buddy for years now.... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

S.E. Mass,about halfway between Providence RI and Plymouth MA.Unfortunately I dont do any or very little off roading,mostly because there isnt a peice of virgin land left near me that isnt private or state property--mosly I use my trucks for plowing snow and landfill runs,and daily transportation.There are state forests in plymouth and in taunton near me,but as far as I know acess is limited,( if not forbidden)and they dont want anyone in there after dark,since its a good place for murders,rapes,and all kinds of scary stuff! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif
    I think on cape cod certain towns still issue permits to access the sand dunes,but its such a hassle to go over the canal and bridges to get there and so crowded once you do,I never bothered to go after I went about 10 years ago--and our population has tripled here since then,so I'm sure its only gotten worse--it took me 3 hours and 45 minites to go 33 miles from my house to barnstable one day in july last year--havent had the urge to go to the cape since! /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

7. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I found that out. Now I need to figure out how to fix it. I could do it if I had an in. lb. torque wrench That went down to like 14 lbs. I'll have to see if I can find a place that can fix it for me. I found a place that will rebuild it for me for about $190. I too want it fixed right.

8. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

It might be easier to start adjusting the input shaft bearings if you loosended the lash adjuster. You will then have to adjust it just like you would wheel bearings. If it still feals lumpy with the lash adjuster backed off you might have dented the races of the bearings /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

Then after you are done with that go back and adjust the lash adjuster to where there is just a bit more resistance then with just the bearings adjusted...that's about all I could think of. I don't have a 1/4" in*lb torque wrench yet...but I need to get one soon so I can rebuild the 2wd steering box I got for crossover. I'll try and take some pics and do a writeup when I do it.

9. mosesburb

mosesburb For Rent Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Just wondering of you checked the rag joint out real well?? 1/4 turn is a whole bunch of play to get within a couple years. Something would literally have to be falling out/off to get that 1/4 turn out of it.
    Just curious.