Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

STEERING GEAR BOX FRAME

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by SNOHEAD, May 31, 2000.

1. SNOHEAD

SNOHEAD Registered Member

I JUST FIXED THE GEAAR BOX FRAME BRACKETS ON MY TRUCK (78 BLAZER)AND I WAS WONDERING IF THIS IS A USUAL THING TO HAVE HAPPEN AND HOW DO YOU FIX IT? I ENDED UP WELDING THE FRAME CRACK AND BRACING IT WITH QUARTER INCH PLATE STEEL . WAS THIS THE RIGHT THING TO DO .

P.S.
    I PULLED ALL THE WEIGHT OFF BEFORE WELDING IT . AND AM IN THE PROCESS OF PUTING IT BACK TOGETHER ,

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

They make plates just for that reason, I havn't had it happen yet but yeah sounds like you did the right thing to me

3. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Yep. Happens alot. You probably did OK. www.offroaddesign.com makes 2 kinds of braces for the frame by the steering box. One of them is weld in, like you just did and the other one is a bolt in style. The bolt in style is supposed to be stronger, but if yours has already been welded, you might have trouble getting this one to line up.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad