Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering Gear Box Rebuild

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MudFrog, Oct 19, 2004.

1. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Anyone have a how to? Is it complicated? Will it make the gear box like new?

My steering is horrible, I have a ton of play and end up all over the road, I have about 4" of play in the middle of the wheel where I can turn the wheel and nothing will happen, then all of the sudden it will turn sharp, makes driving kinda dangerous. I've adjusted it with the nut at the bottom but it only works for so long. Plus the box leaks.

I need a good how to article to see if it is something I think I can do. Really don't want to fork over $200 for a reman box.

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I'd at least go to the boneyard and get a decent used one--they sell for about 50-100 bucks around here.Its not easy to rebuild one--at least every one I tried to fix was beyond repair--ended up going with a used one-If you cant steer the truck,and you crash it--or even worse,hit someone else,I can gaurantee it will cost you more than 200 bucks! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

3. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

It's not quite to that point, but it's to the point where I actually concentrate when driving /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

A buddy of mine has one thats in good shape minus a leaky seal, where the steering shaft comes in at the top, is this easy to replace?

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

None of the ones I tried to put that seal in worked out--they either leaked,or the adjustment nut there wasnt adjusted right or something,the steering was jerky and "sticky",so I bought a used low mileage box at the boneyard.Usually the box itself gets worn,when they start leaking,its usually more than just a seal problem.I dont care for rebuilt boxes much--I've seen too many of them go south in short order--if you go with a rebuilt one get a A-1 Cardone brand,they seem to have the least rate of defective rebuilts.Fix it soon--I know firsthand how it feels to turn the steering wheel,and have nothing happen! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

5. highrider_44s

highrider_44s 1/2 ton status

did you try to tighten the preload at the front of the box? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

you have to loosen the lock ring and use a punsh or chisle then tighten the inner part till the pitman arm moves as soon as you turn the wheel then jam it up again /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    mine had about a inch of play that solved mine. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

http://www.jpeater.com/howto/steeringbox.htm

You can find all the preload spec's in any good repair manual. You will need an in*lb torque wrench (something in the 0-20in*lb range) to do it. If it isn't leaking all the adjustments can be one with the box still installed without removing anything. Do a search on my username. I have posted up how to adjust a box many times before. I'm going to start working on a writeup sometime soon because this question comes up quite often.

Whatever you do don't just "tighten down that allen head bolt on the top cover".