Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering gear box- Removal help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Pookster, Dec 20, 2001.

1. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Someone guide me here. I'm going to be removing the steering gear box this weekend, and putting in a new one. THe old one leaks badly, and also has major play.

Anyways, the question I have is, Do I just drop the pitman, remove the bolts, P/S lines, and does it just drop right out? or do I have to do something to remove the steering shaft?

2. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Remove the bolts on the shaft and pull up on it and it should come off. Do the rest as you said and it should go easy.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&33"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

3. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

pretty straight forward
    just do not forget to put something under to catch excess fluid
    and like he said just pull the 2 bolts out of the rag joint and slide toward the firewall
    i replaced mine i about and hour, and now the new (reman) still has way to much play and i have to swap it again on friday
    good luck
    chris

It needs a bigger motor.
    what's in it now?
    doen't matter it NEEDS A BIGGER MOTOR
    89 350tbi/700r4h/np208/4.11's