Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering Gear Box Sprung A Leak

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Polaris, May 27, 2003.

1. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

And I wonder if any of you have any advice. It is leaking at the adjustment nut, which has not been messed with since last winter and has seen many miles since then. It is draining rather quickly. I siliconed it to get through the rest of the weekend camping/wheeling and get home, but now I need to get it fixed. The silicone didn't hold. I have an exploded view of the box but I'm confused as to how it would leak out of the nut? I see there is a gasket under the plate but it's not leaking out of there. The kits that I'm finding for sale are either "complete" for $40 or for the pitman or input shafts. Thanks for any /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif!

2. 82K5_6.5L

82K5_6.5L 1/2 ton status

hey man i had to deal with the same thing, mine starting leaking, i bought one from some guy on here for $28 bucks..what a steal huh? i put it on last nite, what a pain.. i would just replace, its gonna cost alot kinda.. when i was looking at a rebuilt one it was between $150-200... i dont have the smarts to do the kit so i was lucky and found one...

3. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

I had the thing off last winter & tried another one out from a junkyard to see if it would cure some steering problems I was having. The junkyard one had a pitman shaft leak and the steering didn't improve so I got to swap the old one back in. I know what a PITA it is! I can't get a jack to hold it up far enough while I thread the bolts, thanks to the lift & tires /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif. Oh how I dread doing this job!

4. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

TTT /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif
    Anyone ever have a leak at the adjustment nut, or is it just me? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    TTT /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif
    Anyone ever have a leak at the adjustment nut, or is it just me? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Never had a leak at the nut. Might want to contact Matt at West texas off road. He rebuilds a lot of these and might be able to tell you whats up and sell you the parts to fix it. Probably not expensive at all. The rest of the seals you can get at Autozone for the input and output shafts. Heck they might have a full set of seals, I just have not tried to get a preload seals for it.

6. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

Thanks Grim. I sent an e-mail to Matt. In the meantime, if I get lost I can follow my PS fluid trail home /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif