Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering gear box

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 4X4HIGH, Nov 6, 2005.

1. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Ok, since my last post i've went to the junk yard and picked up a 2WD steering box and now that i have it all apart and clean it's time to re-assemble it with new seals and bearings. My question is, what is the proper method for re-installing the 24 ball bearings in the worm gear? Do you have to install the worm gear into the gear box first then turn it sideways and remove the piece that looks like this ( n ) and is held on with 2 bolts? Does anybody know of any articles or pictures anywhere of how to do this? I've looked at my chiltons manual and it isn't very clear on how to do this.

2. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

When i rebuilt the box on my 98, I am almost positive that there were more than 24 balls. Did you loose any?
    Also there were 2 different sizes of balls. When installing them you have to first put the input shaft into the ball rack, then remove the retainer and install the balls. One large, then one small, and so on. I know i wrote up a tech article on this, but it was a long time ago. I will see if i can dig it up for you

3. 4X4HIGH

Yes, i am sure i did not lose any. I took apart 2 gear boxes yesterday and both have only 24 steel balls in them and both boxes appear to have all the same size balls even though the chiltons book i have says there are 2 different sizes and also 2 different colors which on both boxes i took apart they are all the same chrome color steel. How can i put the input shaft into the ball rack when the ball rack goes into the housing from the bottom and the input shaft must go into the housing from the top?

4. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Either way, i though mine had 32 or 36 balls. Guess mymemory is failing. Even though they say that the different size balls are a different color, most time you can not tell the difference. Just measure them with a mike and make 2 seperate piles.

The (n) shaped thing is the ball return tube. "If i understand you correctly" It is on the side of the approx. 3" piston?
    You can use heavy grease to hold the balls in place inside the piston, then screw the inout shaft into it.
    Hope this makes sense.

BTW> I do not have a copy of the tech atricle i wrote on tihs. Lost form the hard drive, so i am telling you this from memory. It has been a few years since i did this to mine.

5. 4X4HIGH

Yes, you are correct about the ball return and it being on the side of the 3" piston. I am awaiting a reply back from another member who has rebuilt several box's and might be able to help me as well. I appreciate your help also. Once i get all the info i need i think i might write a how to article and post it here for everyone else to view. :thumb:

6. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

That would be great, cause I'm going to be doing mine here soon :thumb: