Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

steering gear box

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by schmuck, Jan 25, 2003.

1. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

i was just wondering a friend told me that the screw and lock nut on the top of the power steering gear box is to adjust for slack in the box. if it is that would be great cause mine has alot of slack in it /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Yes it does, but just go a little at a time. Be sure you don't have other problems first tho, like bad tie rod ends, ball joints and such, otherwise you're wasting your time

3. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

This is most likly not your problem. I've never seen a box that has "loosened" out of spec over the years, unless it's been rebuilt or taken apart.
    Check the usuals, drak link, tie-rod ends. If that's not it, replace the steering shaft. The slip joint and raq joint both get lot's of slop in them.
    That screw on the top of the box is for factory setting only. (Trust me, I used to work there). Tighten it too much, and you'll eventually break your sector shaft. Loosen it too much and you'll break other things in there. I would'nt play with it, the slop is coming from somewhere else.

BlazerMan

4. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

ive looked and brought it to 2 shops to get a front end alignment and both told me the box has slop

5. 73k5blazer

If the box has slop, tightning that screw will not help you, your internals are worn and need replaced. The screw only adjusts pre-load on the sector shaft, so when you tighten it, it places more pressure on the shaft. (Like tightning the nut a ball joint stud) If there is slop, there is slop, the screw will not remove any slop, it will only increase pre-load. Some like a heavier feel for steering, some like lighter, that's why the screw is there. Adjusting it will only make you exert more or less effort on the wheel. You could get the exact same effect by installing a bigger or smaller steering wheel, which also will not remove any slop from the system.
    Replace your box, or get it rebuilt with a new sector shaft and new ratio gear, which most "rebuild" places won't replace. Find a reputibale rebuild place, and be prepared to fork over some cash ($200+).
    I suggest finding a new box in a yard, and having it rebuilt. Most likly the truck you pull it from wasn't junked because of the box.

BlazerMan

6. 73k5blazer

A lot of shops are quick to say it's the box. Check your steering shaft. The slip joint is the cause of more headache's than I can count. It's kinda hard to check, get two nice pair of vice grips and place them on the upper and lower sections of the shaft, and try of move them in opposite directions, if you can move them AT ALL, this is your play, replace the steering shaft. The littlest amount of play by hand translates to major steering slop.
    If the slip joint isn't bad, check the rag joint.

BlazerMan

7. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

thanks ill check into it