Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

steering gear upgrade

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bp71k5, Jan 3, 2007.

1. bp71k5

bp71k5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

So I've been looking through the different posts about curing the loose steering box on my k5. I constantly have to rock the steering wheel a lot back and forth to keep the truck in my own lane. I've had three different boxes (1 rebuilt, two used) in it all with the same amount of play in the steering (4-5 inches each side of center). All the play is inside the box, not the rag joint of the column. Tightening the small screw on top helped a tiny bit, but not much.

I assume I have a fixed ratio box from 71 C10. It's a remanufactured 2wd version needed for crossover. Some posts say a later model gear with a variable ratio worm gear will feel tighter, but some posts on other sites say a fixed ratio box is tighter at the center when driving straight.

What year do the variable ratio boxes start? It seems like '81 or so seems right since the part numbers change about then. It's just too scary driving down the road next to oncoming traffic to not try it out.

2. Musclerodz

Musclerodz 1/2 ton status

We can get you a new bolt-in AGR variable ratio box for your truck. They are not that much more than some rebuilt boxes.

Mike

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I am local enough to you that i'm sure i could help you out. I have rebuilt several gear boxes now and have drilled and tapped many for hydro assist steering. If you want to drive your rig here to Fremont i can take a quick peek for you to see where i think your problem is and then see about fixing it for you.

4. bp71k5

bp71k5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Yea, I'd go for that. Where and what time of day is best? Lunchtime is pretty easy for me to sneak away from work, but not everyone has that option. Whenever works for you is ok with me.

Thanks, that might be a good option. Those are pretty pricey aren't they? I'm a little leary of just getting another one without know what I already have and what a different one would do to it. I'll need to dig around some more before going that route.

5. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The best time for me would be on a saturday. I work until 3:00pm on saturdays but the mornings are pretty slow for me. I would say anytime between 9:00am and 12:00pm is best. Sundays are always an option also.

Stay away from the AGR stuff. i've seen enough of them that are crap and have attempted to rebuild 2 of them now that were junk and not rebuildable. There is nothing special about an AGR box other than the price and whoever builds them for AGR.

6. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

Thanks 4X4HIGH for the heads up regarding AGR. I just bought a PSC PS gearbox with ports from ORD.

7. BUDDY

BUDDY 1/2 ton status

If you guys didn't already do this, I'd like to recommend a full write-up for the rest of us DIY'ers. Please take lots of pictures.

I will be forever grateful. :bow:

Later,
    Buddy