Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering gear

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dumbfounded, Nov 29, 2000.

1. dumbfounded

dumbfounded 1/2 ton status

I've got a problem with my steering gear. From what I understand the later models had an o-ring seal for the high pressure hose and the older had a "compression" fitting. Is there anyway to tell a 78 compression style steering gear to a later model with o-ring fitting. My problem is my older style fitting doesn't bottom out in my steering gear and needless to say leaks like you wouldn't believe. The metal part of the high pressure hose moves up and down on the gear with the fitting screwed all the way down.. If it is an newer type can I just change the pump and hose to a newer style?

Love, Peace, and Hair Grease...........

2. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

If the hose fitting is bad, just get a new hose, I doubt that anything is wrong with your box. If you have an o ring style box in there, have a hose shop make you a set of hoses that has the compression fitting on one end for the pump, and o ring fittings on the other for the box.

ken