Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering Gearbox Mystery Part...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by cbbr, Jul 5, 2005.

1. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

1990 V2500 Suburban. I was replacing the seals yesterday - specifically the seal where the steering shaft inputs the gearbox (Rag Joint, Dust cover, C Clip and then the seal in question).

The Zone sold me Powercraft Kit number 7095. That is the same kit shown on PartsAmerica (and apparently everywhere).

Mystery is that the seal is too large. Up against the old one, it is just a little too large. I even took the adjuster plug out to make sure. The seal is just too big to fit.

Anyone have any idea what the correct part number is and where to get it???

The part that I am looking for is # 242 on this diagram---

[​IMG]

:1zhelp:

2. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

For those that have this problem, mystry solved. The seal is from a 2wd 1/2 ton for some reason. :dunno:

My gearbox looks original, and the parts guy said that Chevy used different gearboxes, so we just loked ujntil we found the right seal.

3. SuperSub

SuperSub Newbie

I'm rebuilding my power steering box too and I'm stuck. The rebuild kit came with a new bearing for the pitman arm shaft but the old one wont come out. I can't see any snap rings and I tried to beat it out both directions. It has to come out now because it's mangled. Plus, once I get it out, I have to get the new one put back in one piece. Anyone done that before?