Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering Goes Clunk: am I screwed?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Ddragggon, Jul 11, 2001.

1. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

G'evening all, I drive a 1973 K20 sub.... err I mean 4 door blazer :-P running 350/350/205 with D44 up front, and 14BFF out back. its got the requisite 4 inch lift under it, and is running 33's. I've only had this thing for about 2 weeks now, so I don;t know too much about it... when I crank the wheel around, it often times makes a CLUNK noise at some random undiscernable point in turning the wheel... I do not currently have the steering brace thing, but figgure I need to getone soon. is this the sound ofa broken frame? or could something else be hanging up? any help would be appreciated, since this is my first large vehicle with 4 wheel drive ( had plenty of 2wd's that I've taken everywhere, like a madman, but yanno) and I know nothing about how it works.

thanx in advance,
    -Rich

1977 C20 suburban
    454/400 trailering Special
    1973 K20 suburban
    350/350/np205
    Atlantic 442 Steam locomotive
    Daisy Mt Railroad

2. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Could be the sound of a broken frame. Have somebody else sit in the "4 door Blazer" 8-) and with it running and in park (auto) or in neutral with parking brake set (manual) have them turn the wheel side to side and check the frame where the box mounts. You should be able to see if it's cracked. The brace is a good idea regardless of whether the frame is cracked or not (but fix it if it's cracked before you put the brace on). It could also be two items hitting, check the adjusting sleeve on the drag link to see that it doesn't hit the raised steering arm (which you should have with a 4" lift). Mine made a clunking noise only when turning with a little flex (not all the time) because the adjusting sleeve nuts were hitting the arm. Could also be a really bad ball-joint, bad tie-rod end, sway bar, stabilizer, etc. If this vehicle is new to you, it wouldn't be a bad idea to check out the whole front end.

If you didn't build it yourself, how can you call it yours.......?

3. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Lotsa stuff can go clunk. Check the frame around the steering box bolts, the engine crossmember rivets (or bolts), tranny crossmember bolts (that's from a post a couple days ago), balljoints (don't know on D44), steering linkage (draglink/tie-rod). Some guys have even said the pitman shaft itself coming out of the box will bind and clunk when worn pretty bad.

Good luck and congrats on the new truck! Get a brace, too!

Ratch
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://k5.8m.com>http://k5.8m.com</A>
    **K5 - What more is there to life?**

4. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

kool, the guy I bought it from said he just re-did the steering system with a new gearbox, new pump and ETC... since both are completely clean ( no oil, or fluid, but some dry dirt) i'm apt to believe him on that matter. I'll check the links when I get home, if my bro is around, and see what I can see/hear. I wouldn't be too surprised if this thing had some ID-ten-T error on it: I've found a few other quick fixes, and dumb things done up on this thing... I gotta tear out a lot of the internal cab lighting and wireing on it, and see what I can do to make it work all the time, not just when I hit big enough bumps, or the planets are in proper alightnment....

thanx,
    -Rich

1977 C20 suburban
    454/400 trailering Special
    1973 K20 suburban
    350/350/np205
    Atlantic 442 Steam locomotive
    Daisy Mt Railroad

5. slider79blazer

slider79blazer 1/2 ton status

mine clanks to but its the steering shaft linkage. the piece is designed to not let the shaft spin all away around inside when it wears out so you don't loose your steering going down the road.but it will get worse. start it and have someone turn the wheel back and fourth see if there is any play between the two pieces. I need to change mine let you know how hard it is later.

<font color=purple>whats a 4 letter word for farm wagon?</font color=purple> (ford) [​IMG]

6. k5blazerus

k5blazerus 1/2 ton status

try thighting the front springs to the housing
    k5blazerus

IF its not broke , break it and upgrade it.

7. slider79blazer

slider79blazer 1/2 ton status

never done that are you talking about by the steering box?

<font color=purple>whats a 4 letter word for farm wagon?</font color=purple> (ford) [​IMG]