Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering Gremlins

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fr8train, Dec 12, 2000.

1. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Ok I went over to a buddies dorm yesterday and looked at her steering wheel. She got a shop to put in a custom Grant over the summer. Now her wheel isnt "zeroed". We tried to reinstall the wheel and it just looks the same no matter what. The truck will track stright like its supposed too. And we cant really tell if its the wheel install hub or steering. All the bolts and linkages seemed tight and I re-torqued them with a torque wrench to spec. I kinda want to get an opinion before we go and spend money on an alignment.

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

was it zeroed when it got put in originally? how much is it off now? if it is only off by a small amount then an alignment should zero it back again. if it is off quite a bit then you need to have it checked anyway just my .02

s.smith 77blazer lookin 4 mud

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

You can adjust the 'centering' of the wheel with the drag link. Loosen the collar bolts and then use a pipe wrench to rotate the collar one way or the other to get the wheel straight, then tighten the collar bolts.

Rene

[​IMG]

4. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Check the frame to make sure the frame hasn't cracked around the steering box that is one of the signs to check if you wheel is off like that! Look around the out side and the inside of the frame for cracks.

C'moe

<font color=black>the blazer is "Back in Black"

5. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Yeah, these guys are right. If the "center" position of the steering wheel is changing, it could be that the steering box needs to be braced or the frame repaired. It could also be that there is a loose steering component somewhere. Check tie rod ends, drag link ends, ball joints, the "rag joint" and wheel bearings.

"If it aint broke...Make it work better!"