Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering help..

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stockk5, Jan 1, 2006.

1. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Alright this is like the third time it has happened to me. i go wheeling. and if i happen to take a hard hit to one front tire.. like yesterday into a mud hole in the woods.. hit hard on my front right tire onto like a stump or rock or sumthing and now my steering wheel is off 90degrees to the right. This has happened to me before as well when i was tryign to get up a rock ledge. i mean im not SLAMing stuff at high speeds at all.. 4low. and like 1st gear not high rpm either. i know there are guys on here that just beat on there trucks to get up stuff and i dont think they change there steering every time they come back. so right now when i turn my wheel straight my truck goes to the left a ton. My pins to my springs are in the perches properly and my tie rod isnt bent. I have an ORD brace on my frame and no cracks.. so it really confuses me. any clue?

2. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

$h!t man....I don't think my steering wheel has been straight since I got the truck. I wondered the same thing you are at the beginning, now I just ignore it. As long as it turns the same distance both ways, I don't care where the steering wheel is.

If ya want to try to fix it, it's pretty simple. Just disconnect the drag link from the box and let it hang down. Turn the steering wheel lock to lock and count how many turns. Mine is just a bit over 3 turns. Then turn it back half that number. So I go like 1 5/8 turn back. Your box is centered now. If your steering wheel isn't centered, you'll prolly have to take it off and put it back on centered. Like I said, I never worry bout that.:D

3. stockk5

haha i know its jsut one of those things, not a big deal but its kinda like if my bikes stem isnt straight.. feels all wierd to me.

4. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

same thing happened to me... hit what i thought was a small. soft snow bank...turned out to be an ice bank:doah: my steering wound up being off though. you need to adjust the draglink. Btw... how'd those axles work out for ya?

5. stockk5

hey, axles are great.. my bro should be cleanin them up.. fixing them up and puttin them under his truck at some point. thanks again. Yeah i gotta adjust the drag link.. again.. ugh haha it just gets annoying after having to adjust it so much and not understanding why it does it.